My first prototypes of epiphyte hanging gardens were beautiful failures. I find all this eucalyptus bark on my strolls through Elysian Park and it's just so lovely. Not for other plants to coexist with apparently. The tannins killed the orchids. I did some research and found that cork is great, and is easy to work with. However it's not easy to find and I do plan to experiment with other types of wood.
I'm learning about which plants and treasures do well in terrariums. Conditions are too moist for some things, like dried graffiti roses. While the mold initially looked pretty, it wasn't going to last.
But this is what it's all about. Trying things, failing, and improving upon ideas.